Cardiff Builders specialising in building, maintenance, renovations, loft conversions, extensions and disability adaptations
Loft Conversions
Full or Partial Renovation Work
Disabled Adaptations
Maintenance and Planned Maintenance
Design and Planning
Bomac Building Services Ltd
Unit 1 Waterside Business Park,
Lamby Way, Cardiff CF3 2ET
Tel: 029 2036 0800
Email: Click Here
Disabled Adaptations
Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are the only mandatory grants available from local authorities. They help with the cost of adapting disabled people's homes. To make sure that they are received by those in the greatest need a means-test is applied. One of the main advantages of DFGs is that they enable disabled people to continue to live in their own homes. Housing and Social Services departments of local authorities work together closely in assessing the need for DFGs and in providing the adaptations. Help is also available from the Rapid Response Adaptations Programme which is designed to enable people to leave hospital or residential care as soon as they are able to.

Who can get a Disabled Facilities Grant? You can apply if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant, of the property (except housing associations whose tenants should contact their respective landlord).

 You can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence.

What can you use it for?A grant can be used for adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and/or to provide essential facilities within it.  Examples of the work that can be covered by this assistance are - widening doors and installing ramps - providing or improving access to rooms and facilities - for example, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom - Bathroom conversion e.g. providing level access shower, accessible WC and wash hand basin.Improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs - improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child. Alterations to door widths and ramps. Specialist equipment i.e. baths/ kitchens.

An occupational therapist must look at your circumstances and can recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed to the Disabled Facilities Service.  Children's occupational therapists work in the Child Health and Disability Team. 

We are very experienced at working with people with special needs and the local authorities concerned and we understand how important it is for people to have the freeedom to be able live in their own homes. Contact us for a review of your potential needs and utilise our knowledge and skills in this area on 02920 360800.